Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some victories to write about!

1) I finally weigh less than my honey. It's only a few pounds, but it still feels good. We're a foot apart in height, so I'm still far more overweight than he is, but I am still happy.

2) I can fit comfortably in his shirts. Waaaaaay back in the beginning of writing this blog, I mentioned that one of my girly goals was to be able to wear one of his shirts to bed if I felt like it. I can!

3) Ran into some old coworkers that I haven't seen in a couple years. They kept going on about thin my face was and that I looked great. That's a pretty awesome pick-me-up. :)



~*~*~*~*~

Okay, this is unrelated to my weight loss, but I have to put it down so I don't forget...

Last Friday, my honey and I decided to go to the drive in theater. We stopped at a gas station with a Subway in it on the way, to have something to eat. I ordered and paid for my sandwich first because Travis wanted to fill the car and order his own.

I was standing by the gas station door, waiting for Travis to finish paying for his sub, when the guy next to him passed out cold and hit his head on the cement floor! It was such a gross, loud noise (probably louder now, in my memory, than it really was). Of course, everyone just stood there for a second, in shock about what just happened.

Finally, we all start moving. I came forward and said not to move him. I mentioned I'd worked in an emergency room for several years and that was something that they never want you to do when someone has fallen and hit their head. ... and then I paused, looked at everyone, held up my hands, and said, "but I am NOT a nurse." lol Just wanted to make that clear!

Anyway...

Two people called for an ambulance. I checked to see if the passed out guy's head was bleeding. I didn't find any blood on the ground around his head. As I was feeling around, his eyes popped open.  Then, before we could say anything, he jumped up off the floor to a standing position.

He did have a small laceration on the back of his head. Nothing major, but he left a splotch of blood on the floor and a little on his neck. It either split open from the impact or one of the tiles cut him.

His coloring was still very green/gray and I was concerned he'd go down again. The gas station attendant and I walked him to a booth and I sat with him while we waited for the ambulance. I kept talking to him to keep him awake.  Travis came over a chatted a bit too.

He said he was in a band and they'd been practicing all day with very little water. He figured he passed out from dehydration, which wouldn't have been surprising. We've been experiencing some wicked hot weather lately.

The thing he seemed most concerned about was that he didn't have insurance. I explained that most hospitals have programs to pay part or all of costs for people without insurance who really need emergency care. I told him he needed to have his head and neck checked out because he hit so hard on the ground...and I followed it up with another, "but I am NOT a nurse" comment.

It took about 10 minutes from the time he woke up for the ambulance to arrive. That's when Travis and I headed out. I knew, from experience, that the EMTs would do their very best to get him to go to the hospital for his own good. There was a possible neck injury and brain bleed from smacking on the cement ground. They take that very seriously.

We headed to the movies and were talking animatedly, thanks to the surge of adrenaline. It was hard to calm down, but eventually we did, though multiple times, we both said, "I sure hope he is okay."
I haven't seen any sad news about a death from at accident at Subway, so I'm confident that the guy good to go, even if he is sore.

Travis seems to still be upset with himself that he didn't catch the guy as he went down. I have explained time and time again that no one else expected that of him. I hate that he feels guilty. I wasn't up close when this happened, so I could see all of the people and what transpired. There was just no way for it to have happened like he thinks it should have. For wanting to have helped more, I give him hugs and kisses.



No comments:

Post a Comment