Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

One step closer

Well, I officially have an appointment to meet the surgeon and see what I need to do to move forward.

I spoke with the doctor's assistant, "D". He told me that he received my referral from my PCP, but he would have to wait until he verified approval from my health insurance company before he scheduled me to see the surgeon, because it would be a waste of my time and money if the insurance company had no intention of paying. He said he would know in 7 to 10 days.

I work for the same healthcare organization that I am seeking this procedure through. Since they're self-insured, when I mentioned my insurance company name, he said "oh, well, then we can go ahead and set up that appointment right away!" 

The first opening wasn't until April 22. I'm glad I didn't have to wait to schedule or I'd probably be waiting until May to get in.

So, now I wait some more, but I still see this as progress. Things are happening, even if it is 3 weeks(!) away. D is sending me a packet in the mail. At least I'll have some info before my appointment.

The appointment will include a 45 minute video about bariatric surgery (both the program at the hospital and the specifics of the procedure itself) and then a 45 minute consult with the surgeon.

I have to say, my first experience talking to someone in that department was really good. D made me feel comfortable when discussing something that can be a very sensitive subject for me. Hopefully, it's a fair representation of things to come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment