Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Absolute Failure or Rousing Success for Getting My Butt Moving?

Wow, I'm not sure if the experience I just had with an exercise video severely depresses me or is spurring me on. A little of both, I think.

Yesterday, I received my copy of The Biggest Loser Power Walk from Amazon. Once my honey
went to sleep this morning, I decided to test it out. Holy shit, I lasted only a half mile.

Saying I lasted a half mile sounds way better than saying that I quit 7 minutes into
the video. Seven-frackin'-minutes!!

I'm reminding myself that I am not a fit person by any means and I also have multiple medical problems that make exercising more difficult. I'm also trying not to let those reminders turn into excuses for not getting my butt up and exercising.

I am a big time asthmatic, yes. I do have knee problems, yes. I do have a serious back problem, yes. Those issues will be greatly helped if I keep trying to exercise--yes, very much!

As I write this, I've come up with a strategy. I have to accept that I currently have limitations-- I can't seem to handle more than a half mile (fine, 7 minutes :P) at a time-- but I can try to work with them and try to change them. So, I will do seven minutes at least once a day. If my medical problems aren't giving me too much trouble, I will go for a second round of at least a half mile later on that day.

Whether I call the exercise "brisk walk" or "low impact aerobics", MFP shows I burned 73 calories in those few minutes. To me, it is sad that was all I could manage. However, I'm going to think positively about this and remember it is 73 calories that I didn't even try to burn yesterday.

Now, excuse me, I need my inhaler... *lung squeak*

No comments:

Post a Comment